Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: Daniel Parker <danielaparker_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Mar 2007 07:46:58 -0700

On Mar 11, 4:44 pm, "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail..._at_dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

> I think that static typing should not hinder projections. It depends on how
> tuples are built. If bare aggregation were used then yes, any traces to
> commonalities between different types of rows would probably be lost. But
> there is inheritance to make types related, which is in fact the same
> relation under a different name.
>
> For example: Customer derived from Age, Name, Location, Height.

Okay, so columns have types, in your example Age, Name, Location, Height. That's okay, that's consistent with the relational approach, and with Third Manifesto.

Now what happens if I want a projection of the Location and Height columns, grouped by Name and Age, with counts as another column, and maybe joined by Location with some information in another table. What "type" is that? And no, I don't want to define that "type" up front, before submitting the query, I want it to come into existence as I make the query.

Daniel Received on Mon Mar 12 2007 - 15:46:58 CET

Original text of this message