Re: Table/Attribute Modeling

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2007 10:03:29 -0800

On 10 mar, 16:36, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 6:23 am, "Walt" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > > I was interviewing a guy today, and he had obviously
> > > been formally schooled in ERM. Every time I run in to
> > > that I feel vaguely left out. I don't have a methodology
> > > with a cool name that I use. How am I supposed to
> > > impress the babes and wow my boss without an
> > > important name for what I do? Waaah!
>
> > OK, this must be satire.
>
> > But what are you satirizing?
>
> I think it's captured by my first paragraph, quoted above.
> I have no actual complaints about ERM. Rather, I am
> commenting on my own reaction to such a simple thing
> as an unfamiliar TLA. Even though I completely know better,
> I nonetheless find myself being somewhat daunted.
>
> Dijkstra wrote about everything; turns out he wrote about
> feeling of inferiority as well. EWD611
>
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD06xx/EWD611.html
>
> > I'd like to discuss ERM seriously, but I don't want to spoil the fun.
>
> Well, don't let me stop you! Although I have nothing to contribute to
> the topic except my sense of inferiority.
Sense of inferiority?
Somehow, I sensed auto-derision in your subject. Auto-derision is a decent harmless way to cope with one's unability to be undesrtood in an environment.

I have to admit EWD's masterpiece transcription about comparing the cultural difference is one of my favorite aticl because I can relate to it easily (lived in US and Europe). I should have guessed.