Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: Walt <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:15:07 GMT

"Dmitry Shuklin" <shuklin_at_bk.ru> wrote in message news:1173440677.467627.35460_at_q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com...

[snip]

> Note, that the concept of references to the rows is also not new and
> was embodied long ago in such famous RDBMS, as Oracle.

[snip]

It's not only not new, but also not relational. Oracle's claims to be relational. Many database builders, myself included, have designed relational databases, and implemented using Oracle. However, some of the features offered by Oracle are not relational. This is one of them.

Anyone relying on using a reference to a row as implicitly referencing the data contained in the row is suing the graph model of data, and not the relational model of data. It seems to me that the rest of this topic overlooks this simple point. Received on Sat Mar 10 2007 - 15:15:07 CET

Original text of this message