Re: Discovering new relationships

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2007 08:47:32 -0800

On Mar 8, 7:51 am, "Walt" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > One approach to this problem is simply not to do it. Couple to
> > software and the database and change both at once. This
> > is only practical if you control both the software and the
> > database. It sounds bad when you say it but it's not as
> > bad in practice as it sounds.
>
> This severely hobbles an enterprise wide database. If you have hundreds of
> applications accessing data in an enterprise wide database, synchronizing
> dtabase change management with application change management is simply not
> feasible.

Having done it, I must say that "not feasible" is too strong. However it is certainly a challenge! And it requires a lot of process.

In general, the philosophy where I work is continuous integration. However that is not *my* philosophy; I prefer radical decoupling.

(General agreement on the rest of your post.)

Marshall Received on Thu Mar 08 2007 - 17:47:32 CET

Original text of this message