Re: Designing database tables for performance?

From: Walt <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:55:50 GMT

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:1VnHh.1239852$1T2.43228_at_pd7urf2no...
> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> > paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> >>On the other hand, at one time in the 1970's, every 28 days, I had to
> >>consolidate the chocolate bar sales of the provinces of Canuckistan.
> >

> > [snip]
> >

> >>Meanwhile, the essential aspects of the census for small monarchies like
> >>Canuckistan could be handled in "main memory" of a consumer machine.
> >

> > [snip]
> >
> > The word is "Canada". Please have the courtesy to use it.

> Heh, haven't advenced to topics about "THE", OO or English. If I live
> long enough maybe someday I'll eat those words, but not yet. Won't take
> it back, too bad or maybe too good this group isn't about politics, at
> least some of the time it isn't.

Most of the time, database discussions are about politics. I used to explain the ubiquity of politics in database projects to database noobs this way:

Data, like knowledge, is power.
Databases are about sharing data.
When data is shared, power is shared.
When power is shared, politics happens! Received on Wed Mar 07 2007 - 09:55:50 CST