Re: 1 NF

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2007 18:47:36 -0800

On Mar 5, 8:01 pm, "Bruce C. Baker" <bcbake..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 4, 6:58 pm, Gene Wirchenko <g..._at_ocis.net> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > Meg Tilly was on the Craig Ferguson Late Late Show last week and she
> > said something about how you know you are doing well in poker when the
> > men get mean and nasty to you. If they are nice to you, you are
> > likely losing. This is the first place I've had a group of men really
> > seem to hate me and want me to go away, so her comments triggered a
> > light bulb for me. Perhaps some think of this as a competition
> > instead of a dialog? Cheers! --dawn
>
> Granted that JOG and Gene may have been unnecessarily unkind, I suggest that
> their responses may have been at least in part caused by their exasperation
> in attempting to follow your sometimes rambling and seemingly evasive posts.
> Developing a more focused and concise style would be to your benefit, and
> not just in this NG.

I agree. I do work on it. Others who speak up but do not keep their terminology to that of the RM have similar problems, I have noticed. Terms used have meanings in the broader world of software development and even in s/w development in the absence of a SQL-DBMS. I think that is one reason it is very difficult to get a question on the table.

> Having said that, I must also say that playing the sexism card ill becomes
> you. :-(

If her comment had not been about the men with whom she played poker, my comment would not have been sexist, right? I'm guessing the women with whom she plays poker might not act quite the same, however. Women have other approaches to cruelty, but I have not experienced this particular form of "get out of my playground" bullying from women.

But thanks for piping up, Bruce. cheers! --dawn Received on Tue Mar 06 2007 - 03:47:36 CET

Original text of this message