Re: 1 NF

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy_at_iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 01:56:19 +0200

On 2007-03-01, V.J. Kumar wrote:

>> By "real" I meant "real valued". Because of that, there's nothing in
>> fuzzy set theory you couldn't handle with rather boring and classical
>> measure theoretic tools.
>
> Are you saying that the membership function is just another name for
> the classical measure?

No, because most classical measures are additive. Yet, measure theory contains all of the tools which enable fuzzy measures to be handled. Cf. e.g. the full body of theory on outer measures in various topological spaces.

> How would you define a degree of truth in classical logic without
> resorting to any additonal tools which would be cheating?

The way it's done in fuzzy logic, of course. As I said, that's based on a classical foundation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_measure_theory

--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy_at_iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111