Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:08:43 -0800

"V.J. Kumar" <vjkmail_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>If one finds math boring, maybe he/she can find something which is more
>appealing to him/her. Why torture yourself if you find the subject
>abhorrent ? For people who really like math, it's like a game of chess;
>if you do not like chess, why bother ?

     I do not think that it is the subject. It is the treatment.

     Right now, I am working on plans for a minor in math. A number of the courses that I want require Calculus 2 in the prerequisite chain. Apparently (one instructor's take), none of the courses require calculus knowledge. The requirement appears to be there as a check for mathematical maturity (which I have from a different way). I wish to be exempted and am working on that.

     I took Calculus 1 back in 1978 and have never used it. I do not foresee needing it. Thus, calculus, to me, is a waste of time. (I am not railing against calculus, but see no need for it for me, just as I see no need for a fine arts (or ... or ...) course in my degree. YMMV.)      If I have to take Calculus 2, I will have to spend time and money for something of little or no value to me.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.