Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2007 08:19:18 -0800

On Mar 1, 3:58 pm, "Walt" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:

> I believe you are correct, but I think the syndrome goes far deeper than you
> have said. Basically, the US educational system has evolved a mthodology in
> which theory is quite simply not taught at all. What passes for
> "theoretical discussion" in an American classroom is really and extended
> introduction to the subject matter. The subject matter itself is embodied
> in a series of examples, that illustrate the real meat of what is being
> taught.

> If the examples are well chosen, well presented, and carefully received, the
> learner can concoct his own theory, that will coincide with the teacher's
> theory in most important respects.
>
> In Europe, on the other hand, much of primary school education is devoted
> to learning how to learn a theory. From secondary school through graduate
> studies, students are actually taught theory itself. Examples, when given,
> are usually an afterthought, and serve mostly to allow the learner to cross
> check his understanding of the theory.
>
> Each of these learning paradigms has its strengths and weaknesses. Also,
> students who are highly motivated and very intelligent are going to acheive
> outstanding results in either milieu. But they are very different.

Thanks for the clarification. Having experienced both systems, I can say that most of what is said is true. In a sense, european systems focus more on empiriscism and formalism and put heavy emphasis on abstract thinking while american systems teach theory with a *I need to show you what I am talking about else you won't understand what I am talking about* bias...Hope that makes sense... Received on Thu Mar 01 2007 - 17:19:18 CET

Original text of this message