Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2007 00:28:03 -0800

On Feb 28, 10:15 pm, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:

> > In the case of lossy compression, I feel strongly that it is a logical
> > matter, and cannot be abstracted away. The choice of compression
> > ratios and algorithms needs to be under user/application control,
> > not dba control.
>
> Suppose a relation has a candidate key I which is an image of one person
> and another candidate key N which is the name of that person.
>
> 1) With possrep's, could some images in the same relation be represented
> in TIF format and others in JPG?
>
> 2) When inserting a TIF image of one person or a JPG of the same person,
> is there a way an engine could consider the TIF and JPG equal?

These questions have been a subject of thought for years. This is one of the questions raised in the thread I have openned on *Avoiding bidimensional representation of relations* or what kind of computing model could be imagined to facilitate relation level operation --> I specifically deal with the necessity of establishing relation level operators...Besides, if not already done, you may want to check out Fabian PASCAL - Practical Issues in Database Management - where a chapter dedicated to typing puts in perspective the problem of media types...