Re: Quote from comp.object

From: Aloha Kakuikanu <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2007 09:43:36 -0800

On Feb 28, 5:48 am, "-CELKO-" <jcelko..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> I think he missed the point of RDBMS versus hierarchical databases.
>
> Yes, a hierarchical database like IMS (which has more data in it than
> all the SQL enterprise products combined) devoted to one job will run
> really fast. You tune for that one job. But it will not handle any
> other jobs very well.

And not so much faster to be really concerned. Consider:

  1. Extracting a set of records from a single table by some criteria. There has to be a B-tree walk in both cases. Performance is the same.
  2. Extracting all children of a parent record by foreign key index versus extracting children by direct references. Logarithmic cost versus constant which is also not a big deal.