Re: Quote from comp.object

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 28 Feb 2007 05:48:51 -0800

I think he missed the point of RDBMS versus hierarchical databases.

Yes, a hierarchical database like IMS (which has more data in it than all the SQL enterprise products combined) devoted to one job will run really fast. You tune for that one job. But it will not handle any other jobs very well.

The idea of getting rid of redundancy was not to save storage, but to preserve data integrity -- "a man with ten watches is never sure what time it really is." The early network DBs had no concept of data integrity; they worried about preserving the access paths instead.

I also remember 25 years ago in IT. We are a lot faster now -- Moore's law :). If you look at the speeds for VLDB products like SAND and Teradata, they compete with the best IMS or IDMS databases easily.

This was the arguemnt made against RDBMS over 25 years ago -- Codd versus Bachman, to be exact. This guy needs to read his history. Received on Wed Feb 28 2007 - 14:48:51 CET

Original text of this message