Re: Designing database tables for performance?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2007 11:30:20 -0800

On 27 fév, 17:17, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

> If this was still the 1970s and 80s I would agree. But the ideas were
> fleshed out. The ideas were implemented. The market has spoken.
And the market continues to talk. Its message: the more we go, the more direct image systems have difficulty coping with increase of volumes linked to multimedia exponential size increases. Ignoring theory is paid daily a heavy price both human (amount of resources required to monitor and maintain systems) and hardware wise(power of machine required). If the ideas were indeed implemented, we would not be here having this discussion....

> The only thing new coming out of discussions of theory seems to be
> whining about how things were not implemented in a purist fashion.
> Conveniently ignoring the fact that every attempt to do so has been a
> commercial failure.
Everyday, as a database practionner, I see people leave their families to go to work at 2am because they can not rely on what their dbms should be doing and does not do, and because some uneducated ignorant of the fundamental issues behind data management did not take in consideration when setting up the system.

Everyday I see snake oil salesman trying to sell me pure BS when he in fact does nothing but make a fool of himself...

It is about whether you care or not about people not just about a commercial success that won't do much when worms will be eating your body in the ground. Received on Tue Feb 27 2007 - 20:30:20 CET

Original text of this message