Re: Navigation question

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:22:40 -0500

dawn wrote:

> Do large, production-quality, highly usable and useful, data-based,
> read-and-write software applications actually exist where there is no
> code in the software that navigates around the database?

I would rephrase the context as this perhaps, "Is there an ideal user interface for presenting relational data?" And from there ask the question, "How do you implement that interface, what elements are required on server and in code?"

It seems to be taken as a given that foreign key is the basis of all user "navigation", the travelling from one context ( a row or rows of a table ) to another context. By this I mean this has been the basis of every app I've seen whether they knew it and said it or not.

Finally, to your actual question, I've never seen one. All user applications "navigate" as the user desires, from one context to another, otherwise you don't have a usable system (if I understand your question). As I mentioned, I believe the foreign key is the foundation of these features.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.