Re: Designing database tables for performance?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:54:40 GMT

Walt wrote:
> I think you're stereotyping people with regard to age. I had been
> programming for twenty years when I ran across the relational model of data,
> and a relational DBMS. I was able, at that age to go through a rather
> complete change in mode of thinking, without losing sight of the old mode
> of thinking. That was twenty years ago, now.
>
> While I'm by no means as smart as I was twenty or forty years ago, I'm
> still smart enough to follow most of the discussion in here, although my
> handle on databases is largely based on practice rather than theory. I
> suspect that "over the hill" is highly dependent on how firmly one is
> convinced that one has already learned all the important stuff. By this
> definition, some people are over the hill at 25, or younger. Others are not
> over the hill at 80.

I meant to generalize. Within IT, I think there are many people like you but overall we are a minority. The exceptions inspire me - I remember you could call Gene Amdahl's company when his secretary had gone for lunch and he would pick up the phone. He was about 75 at the time. I like to think I'm smarter than I used to be because I know less and I understand better how dumb I am. I find forgetting the stupid stuff is even harder than recognizing the stupid stuff.

p Received on Mon Feb 26 2007 - 15:54:40 CET

Original text of this message