Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:14:33 GMT

Walt wrote:

> "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>I presume that if S had other attributes besides b, this definition
>>>would mean that b doesn't need to be a so-called primary key? (That
>>>would be okay with me.)
>>

> This is a digression, rather than another nit pick.  The concept behind
> "primary key" adds nothing, mathematically, to the concept behind "candidate
> key".  Any one of the candidate keys could be used as a foreign key,  with
> equal effect.

I fail to see the digression. I asked the question in the first place to double-check whether Marshall had intended that b not necessarily be a key, even though he said he was defining how to express a foreign key.

My question has nothing to do with whether primary keys "add" anything to candidate keys, rather whether they add anything to "foreign references".

p Received on Sun Feb 25 2007 - 00:14:33 CET

Original text of this message