Re: Designing database tables for performance?

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:06:48 GMT

Cimode wrote:
[..]

> Yep. Last time I discussed database issues with an ORACLE guru, he
> was trying to convince me that RAM was logical as opposed to Hard
> drive which was physical. To the ORACLE gurus, as soon as it is in
> memory, it becomes totally logical. A total absurdity of course...

He was prolly talking about the types of IO's for a query that the optimiser predicts and execution engine encounters. Sybase uses the same terminology and weights them differently when costing out (possible) plans.

Cheers Frank. Received on Fri Feb 23 2007 - 14:06:48 CET

Original text of this message