Re: Objects and Relations

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredono_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2007 04:02:19 -0800

On 22 feb, 15:17, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I agree object is a vague term. But I used it to help DavidBL and OO
> thinkers make sense of RM (trying to relate what they know to RM).

It does not make sense to try to clarify things using nebulous terms.

> prefer to use the term *class* in comparing OO terms to RM terms.

Another vague term. Class is often used as a synonym of type but it is also used with other meanings like: the definition of a type or "entity".

> In
> such sense, a class is not the same as a class instantiation. (I have
> to admit I am not very familiar with all OO subtleties)

Of course, a class instantiation is a variable or a value. Although it makes more sense when it means value.

> > >Why would one say "object" when one means
> > > "variable" ?
> > Because it is a sloppy term for sloppy thinkers.
>
> Maybe, but insulting the thinkers won't encourage them to use a better
> terminology

I disagree.

>(namely RM terminology).

Type, value, variable and operator are not RM terminology, they are the four key concepts of imperative programming. People like Dijkstra and Knuth are not RM guys but they use good terminology.

Regards Received on Fri Feb 23 2007 - 13:02:19 CET

Original text of this message