Re: Objects and Relations

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: 22 Feb 2007 21:48:18 -0800

On Feb 22, 9:35 pm, "Alfredo Novoa" <alfred..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > If "object" means object instances exclusively, then the term is
> > synonymous with "variable".
>
> "Object instance" might mean value.

Not a chance. Good OO programmers limit themselves to the definition by authors like Booch: objects must be part of the abstract machine and encapsulate identity, state and behavior.

> "Object" is synonymous with
> "instance" so "object instance" is redundant.

Yes.

> >Why would one say "object" when one means
> > "variable" ?
>
> Because it is a sloppy term for sloppy thinkers.

I take it you're not a fan of OO.

"Variable" is not an option because many languages have an incompatible meaning for that term. Received on Fri Feb 23 2007 - 06:48:18 CET

Original text of this message