Re: Objects and Relations

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2007 00:16:22 -0800

On Feb 22, 8:21 am, "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 6:09 am, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 20, 2:18 pm, "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > > [snip]
> > > I still think we have a quite different understanding of what (in
> > > practical terms) we mean by "entity". I think you're still
> > > associating it with ERMs (even if you distinguish instance from type)
> > > while I'm not. Let me explain what I mean by that...
>
> > > You question whether written papers have an authors property or vice
> > > versa. For me that question only arises at the point where you try
> > > to create an ERM.
>
> > Well yes I do see that. But I /don't/ think those issues start at the
> > ERM, so I'm more than happy to address things outside the E/RM, at a
> > 'real world' level (apologetic quotes for obvious reasons).
>
> > > Since we agree it is generally better to go
> > > directly to relational schema design it seems a moot point. We
> > > understand that the many to many relationship between authors and
> > > written papers is nicely represented in its own relation.
>
> > > What I'm saying is that it doesn't indicate any problem with our
> > > understanding of the entities as we perceive and understand them in
> > > real life.
>
> > Ok I've got to stop you there for a moment, because I need to get over
> > one hurdle first - I am still not clear at all what the definition of
> > your 'entity' concept is? And at the low level we're addressing this,
> > it is vital I understand what you define the term to mean otherwise we
> > just end up talking past each other again.
>
> > Currently I realise it is interchangeable with 'thing', and I also
> > know that you _don't_ define it is just a collection of attributes and
> > values, but above that I only have the statement that "if you point at
> > a set of atoms and call it Fred, then that would be an entity" from a
> > post way back in the thread.
>
> > Obviously I think there are serious problems with the 'pointing at
> > atoms' description, but instead of jumping on it (I realise this is
> > usenet and it was probably a quick post) I'd appreciate if if you
> > could expand your defintion.
>
> > > This distinction comes down to the difference between
> > > model and what is modelled. The question of where to put an
> > > attribute is yet another one of the adhoc "features" of the ER
> > > modelling process.
>
> > > If one is going to represent the fact that a particular author has
> > > written a particular paper, surely one is comfortable with being able
> > > to identify the human and the paper in real life. Otherwise why
> > > bother storing the fact in the first place?
>
> > I'm not ignoring your points here, I just need that definition first.
>
> > > Obviously the actual human and written paper are quite different from
> > > the models of those things associated with an ERM. As I see it, the
> > > various and substantial limitations of ER models should not be taken
> > > as evidence that the actual entities for which we want to store
> > > knowledge about are "arbitrary concoctions". I have a feeling you
> [...]

David,

The reason why you are having so much difficulties finding the right words to express some ideas here is because you are an using an efficient terminology. A you pointed a relation maybe described as a set of tupples but that's only a small portion of it. A relation is also a set of facts (fact: proposition about the world that is validated by *true*) and can also be the input of some operation and/ or be the output an operation. My advice to you again is to read more about RM if you want to be taken seriously into mapping OO concepts and RM concepts... Received on Thu Feb 22 2007 - 09:16:22 CET

Original text of this message