Re: OT: Where? and What?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2007 14:37:49 -0800

On Feb 17, 12:50 pm, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:
> Cimode wrote:
> > Tony D wrote:
> >> Cimode wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Careful with that "Holland" thing ... Dutchmen who aren't from Holland
> >> can get *really* upset if you say Holland instead of the
> >> Netherlands ;)
> > I apologize for the confusion. My English is not as sharp as I would
> > like it to be. In French, we use the world *Hollande* for calling
> > Neetherlands.
>
> Hollande is French for Holland.
> The French for the Netherlands is Pays-Bas.
> Strangely both English and French use a plural word for what
> the Dutch call Nederland (singular).

When one says "Holland" in the US, many Dutch-Americans think of a city on Lake Michigan with the largest Tulip Festival in the US (and there are at least 4 other tulip festivals in the US). If one says "The Netherlands" or if in the company of 1st generation immigrants (or simply in the mood) says "Nederland," that would be the mother country.

--wolthuis, 3rd gen (all four grandparents stepped the boat off) Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 16:37:49 CST