Re: OT: Where? and What?

From: mAsterdam <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:32:28 +0100
> mAsterdam wrote:

>> Cimode wrote:
>> Hollande is French for Holland.
>> The French for the Netherlands is Pays-Bas.
>> Strangely both English and French use a plural word for what
>> the Dutch call Nederland (singular).

> Being French, I never thought about it, but in French collective
> subconscious Hollande = Pays- Bas. Etymologically however you are
> perfectly right. I apologize again.

No need. Holland is the most sea-going part of the Netherlands. If you ever meet a Dutchman who says he is from the Netherlands, you can be pretty sure are that he is _not_ from Holland. Similarly: if you meet a Hollander who says he is from Holland, chances are that he is _not_ from Amsterdam.

>>> Agreed. Note that BB still has not recognized error for his stupid >>> and offensive comments to mAsterdam. He persists and signs.