Re: OT: Where? and What?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:32:56 GMT

Marshall wrote:

> On Feb 17, 9:32 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Tony D wrote:

>>>Careful with that "Holland" thing ... Dutchmen who aren't from Holland
>>>can get *really* upset if you say Holland instead of the
>>>Netherlands ;)
>>
>>>And as western European countries go, the Netherlands must be one of
>>>the least repressive
>>
>>Tell that to Pym Fortuyn and Theo van Gogh.

> Your comment immediately made me think of Theo van Gogh.
> I had forgotten about Pym Fortuyn. I guess van Gogh's death
> could be seen as a confirmation of Fortuyn's concerns about
> Islam. But since I am an American, and Americans have
> no idea what goes on in other countries, I probably didn't
> actually think that.

Being an American, you no doubt have never even heard of Geert Wilders or Ayaan Hirsi Ali. How could you? Being an American and all.

http://www.capitalismforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2248&

I am reminded of the Belgian-raised Iranian who went from condescending disdain to shocked disbelief on September 11, 2001 during his lecture to me and another on our ignorance of what was going on in the middle-east. He made the smug remark that we didn't even know who Masood was. I merely replied I knew who he was and that he had been murdered a couple days before.

The smug arrogant fool hadn't heard the news. Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 14:32:56 CST