Re: Objects and Relations

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2007 08:05:04 -0800

On Jan 29, 1:42 pm, "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote: <snip>

> 1. OO is good for string, deque, front ends, simulations, games
> 2. RM is good for storing information about Employees, Students,
> University courses, Inventory systems, Invoices.
>
> These predictions are borne out in practice.

David -- I just hit me that perhaps this entry where I show that the RM is not sufficient would make clear why one needs to model such thing as Employees in OO (if using an OO language to write an app). An OO class of Employee need not just be used to model an 'entity' for persistence (for use with a DBMS), but also models such an entity for use in a UI. And I think you will agree that the RM is not sufficient for all such modeling.

http://www.tincat-group.com/mewsings/2006/02/model-behind-interface.html

If your response is that it is OK to model Employee in OO for potential use in a UI, just not for storage, then I misunderstood your comments about how we should not model "external entities" in OO. So, is this relevant or am I still not understanding your original point? Thanks. --dawn Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 17:05:04 CET

Original text of this message