Re: Navigation question

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 17:19:37 -0800

On Feb 16, 3:04 pm, "Tony D" <tonyisyour..._at_netscape.net> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 8:08 pm, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think Marshall is telling me that both of his queries could
> > together go to the DBMS at the same time and the DBMS might execute
> > them together in some different order.
>
> That would be quite an optimisation, and I don't know of a DBMS that
> does that. References, anyone ?

'Tis a theory newsgroup. It's enough that the optimization I describe be implementable; it doesn't need to be actually implemented.

I wrote an ODBC driver circa 1995 that would do API coalescing and reordering to minimize network roundtrips. It couldn't do the optimization specifically on those two queries; ODBC provides few opportunities for such reordering. However one could imagine, say, an asynchronous JDBC tag library that would permit this optimization.

Marshall Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 02:19:37 CET

Original text of this message