Re: Objects and Relations

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 16:37:01 -0800

David BL wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
> > If you have x, y, z, deltaX, deltaY, and deltaZ you
> > won't need orientation. The location of a piece is
> > actually an interval
>
> Yes, because Lego blocks can only be rotated about the
> vertical axis z by 0,90,180,270 degrees. The interval
> approach also brings out their symmetry under rotation by
> 180 degrees. Also square shaped blocks (deltaX = deltaY)
> are symmetric under rotation by 90 degrees.

I would like to claim that this very discussion reveals one of the advantages of trying to think without entities. It encourages us to think about the /problem/ instead. That is to think about our goals, our requirements, our knowledge, etc. It forces us to consider the facts at hand and those that may arise and design solutions for handling them.

Is this part of what DB professionals do for a living? What lingo is used to describe this process?

Keith -- Fraud 6 Received on Sat Feb 17 2007 - 01:37:01 CET

Original text of this message