Re: OT: Where? and What?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 14:45:10 -0800

On Feb 16, 2:35 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Vadim Tropashko wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2:46 am, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Confirms America is doomed.
>
> > Once we are off topic of the offtopic thread, I recently watched
> > "Idiocracy" (by Mike Judge). The theme is somewhat close to me as the
> > publisher pressured to dumb down the book to make it more accessible.
>
> > But here is a proposition: the "Idiocracy" future have no chance to
> > happen (and concequently eugenics ideas are irrelevant). Why? Because
> > soon enough you'll be able to purchase good genes on the market! And
> > who would wan't to get not the best available genes to their children?
>
> > As it is likely to happen first in America (where else), then you'll
> > suddenly find that the US average IQ start pulling ahead of the rest
> > of the world. What an irony.
>
> What makes you think parents will choose intelligence when they could
> choose athleticism or musical talent or piety instead?

Phhht. You are both wrong. They will choose physical attractiveness. The market for genes already exists, and attractiveness receives a high premium. Intelligence also gets a premium, but nothing like what it's actually worth.

The good news though is that, generally speaking, what parents want is like them, but a little better.

Marshall Received on Fri Feb 16 2007 - 23:45:10 CET

Original text of this message