Re: Navigation question

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 06:18:50 -0800

On Feb 16, 12:21 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 5:42 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Marshall wrote:

> > In the above, she exposes her own ignorance.
>
> What I found shocking was not the ignorance per se but the fact
> that apparently her cohort is entirely devoid of understanding
> of client/server architecture!

Marshall, I've not only done client-server, I've dabbled with distributed platforms with libraries such as JINI. So, I'm really curious what I said that makes you think I missed the mark with clientserver.   As I mentioned in my last response, I'm not suggesting any more round-trips than you are.

I'm also disappointed in your response to someone who has set himself up as a bully, even if he is also very knowledgeable in different areas. I realize you are on his good side, which means you can safely play on this playground now without getting abused, but don't get trapped into being a sidekick to the bully. You are in a position where you could tell him he is wrong on occasion and that his tactics are not appreciated and not an asset to this newsgroup.

> Could she have been working exclusively
> in mainframe land? Or SMB apps or something? I am at a loss
> to imagine how the "has never been contested by anyone"
> could happen.
>
> > Why do you bother with Dawn?
>
> I'll be interested to see how she reacts to the 10^8 / 10^12
> argument. It's indisputably a dealbreaking architecture issue.
>
> Marshall

So, tell me, did you understand my response and was it stupid, ignorant, or "self-aggrandizing"? Did I miss your point or did you miss mine? I do appreciate you engaging in the discussion, and your insights have been helpful on many occasions, but I am expecting more of you than to seemingly suck up to the bully.

But if you cannot in good conscience tell him that you are willing to hold a discussion with me because I'm not as stupid and ignorant as he might suggest, then just tell him that I might be stupid and ignorant, but for an old lady, I'm pretty hot. smiles. --dawn

P.S. This might be a "self-aggrandizing" story, but it gives the origin of the above thought. I was introduced as a speaker last year by someone who has known me for many years. The topic was a comparison of two DBMS's for a particular licensed software product. At the end of her introduction, she said something like "and on top of that, she is the smartest person I know." I felt a need to come up with a response to that quickly, so I said something like "People always tell me how smart I am, and women know that is just shorthand for being unattractive. Now that I'm almost 50, I'm sick of hearing how smart I am -- I'd like to hear how hot I am instead." After that, the conference picked up for me as people would come up to me an tell me I was hot, quite the new and fun experience. Received on Fri Feb 16 2007 - 15:18:50 CET

Original text of this message