Re: OT: Where? and What?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:07:18 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> I am going to do a little self-promotion of my own.
>
> I think it is time for me to come out of retirement and relocate to the
> US. The first question is: Where should I target? The second is: What
> sort of work should I look for?
>
> Where?

According to Fabian, the USA is not where it's at as far as progess is concerned, and I'd have to go along with him. As for this planet, one ought to ask what's left? If you ask me, it depends on much more than mentioned in the rest of the post. For myself, if I had a s/w company, I'd locate it in the South Pacific, like Norfok Island where the typical daily temp is 70F year-round. For different reasons than India, cows there have the right-of-way, so it can't be too bad for dogs either. But almost nobody else is like me.

Since I don't own a s/w co, I'd aim for South Africa or some part of SE Asia where the COL is low and weather and scenery of all kinds beat California, food grows by itself and the beef may be the best in the world (as the terror of the USA about letting in it shows). At one time in SA, there was some app devel, so a few companies maintained outposts but none of the work was what I'd call interesting". Also, physical security there was cheaper but nothing really "interesting",too, ten years or so ago, about ten US bucks per day for a local guard and a Rottweiler. Things may have changed since, but even then downtown Johannesburg was a heck of a lot safer than downtown Detroit. May still be true that with NA bucks one can buy better cliff/beach property for less than ten percent of USA prices.

I think one must really make a decision between interesting work and location. I'm not even interested in interesting work as important work seems more important to me. Whatever one's limits are, one can't do one's best in surroundings that one isn't comfortable in. Received on Fri Feb 16 2007 - 02:07:18 CET

Original text of this message