Re: Objects and Relations

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:36:22 GMT

JOG wrote:

> On Feb 14, 3:46 pm, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>I can't even understand the grammer of this sentence.
>>
>>If I am not mistaken, it is *grammar*. What I meant is that LegoBlock
>>and Location concepts should be separated if LegoBlock is to be
>>considered a relation. A relation *must* have a stable primary key.
>>Location is not a stable primary key therefore it does not identify
>>LegoBlock. Please be sincere.

It is ironic. Above, Cimode insists on a far greater restriction than required by the RM. Stability is an important design criterion for choosing a primary key. Whether one chooses a stable key, though, is a design tradeoff weighed against the other (sometimes conflicting) design criteria like familiarity, simplicity, and irreducibility.

[snip]

>>I am trying to help you get another pov about RM that is way too wide
>>to be locked up in BB's or my definitions.

And then he claims his position is expansive rather than restricting. Received on Thu Feb 15 2007 - 13:36:22 CET

Original text of this message