Re: Interpretation of Relations

From: Joe Thurbon <usenet_at_thurbon.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 04:11:27 GMT

Joe Thurbon wrote:
> I'm very new to this databases game, and am not even sure I'm using the
> terminology in the right way. I'd like some feedback as to whether I'm
> even in the right ballpark. Most of my understanding of the terminology
> comes from reading this group, and the definitions on Wikipedia.

Thanks go to all who contributed to this thread. I've got some books ordered from at local bookstore, and thanks in particular to paul c, who passed on some really useful references.

By the way, I also found my old Uni textbook (ha, I told my wife it would come in useful one day). It's Fundamentals of Database Systems by Elmasri and Navathe. Could anyone who is familiar with it give me some sort of idea about its usefulness. I'm particularly concerned with page 137:

"where each value is an element of dom(Ai) or is a special null value".

Cheers,
Joe Received on Wed Feb 14 2007 - 22:11:27 CST