Re: Objects and Relations

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2007 08:03:21 -0800

[Snipped]
> I have to agree with Cimode - Keith's contribution seemed a little...
> off. Assuming lego blocks are of the simple cuboid variety with
> standard male and female connectors, a configuration can be expressed
> as tuples in the following relation (asterisks indicate the natural
> key columns):

[Snipped]

> But the point is that there is NO need for "lego block entity"
A little clarification...
Let's put in another way: in a relational perspective, the instantiation of some lego block class(A tuple) represent a unique combination of characteristics that makes that instantiation unique (I guess instantiation and tuple are synonyms in their respective worlds). What RM says is that LegoBlocks must be represented logically in order to be operated in set operations. Such representations are called relations. This is where RM is superior to any model designed until now. Set operations are orders of magnitude more powerful from procedural operations.

Hope this clarified... Received on Wed Feb 14 2007 - 17:03:21 CET

Original text of this message