Re: OT (sets and stuff)

From: Walt <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:34:06 GMT

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1170787212.120398.102360_at_l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > That's not empiricism.
>
> I probably misunderstand and misused the word empiricism. According to
> wiki, In the philosophy of science, empiricism is a theory of
> knowledge which emphasizes those aspects of scientific knowledge that
> are closely related to experience, specially as formed through
> deliberate experimental arrangements. It is a fundamental requirement
> of scientific method that all hypotheses and theories must be tested
> against observations of the natural world, rather than resting solely
> on a priori reasoning, intuition, or revelation. Hence, science is
> considered to be methodologically empirical in nature."

Don't confuse science and mathematics. Although people can and do use empirical methods to arrive at conjectures, mathematical proofs are not dependent on empiricism. Mathematical definitions are equally removed from either verification or falsification by empirical tests. Received on Sun Feb 11 2007 - 23:34:06 CET

Original text of this message