Re: cdt glossary 0.1.1 (repost)

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2007 14:22:54 -0800

[Snip]
> The stated purpose of the glossary is "to limit lengthy
> misunderstandings in comp.database.theory." Spin-offs are welcome
> but not actively chased. I haven't seen CJDate's dictionary yet.
> I trust that its intended audience is much wider than just this
> newsgroup. Aside: I don't think CJDate would mind a definition
> or two (properly attributed of course) from his dictionary in the
> cdt glossary.
I am not convinced that *lengthy misunderstandings* in this NG are solely linked to a lack of common vocabulary but also to differences in perception and behaviorally driven considerations. A glossary will help but it won't save you from *Knowledge is power* statements expressed by some people around.

*All I know is I know nothing* (Montaigne)

> > How do you update it ?
>
> Re-editing sent posts, copying & pasting text
> from the newsgroup.
Apologies. I restate a question I poorly asked at the first place. How do you keep it updated and credible? (how do insure that there is consensus around this glossary? ). I do not mean this as a sarcastic comment but as a friendly suggestive question that I hoped could help target your effort.(especially to by limiting the number of updates needed to keep the glossary valid).

> > (you must deal with this
> > question if you want to gain consensus on its relevance ) and would it
> > be possible to establish a technical writing style more coherent to
> > read? Ex, instead of
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > [Information]
> > 0. data in context, data with meaning.
> > (This implies a definition of data as being without context,
> >> without meaning - see data)
> > 1. new data to the receptor.
> > 2. available data, relevant to some decision or action.
>
> > [Information principle] (RM)
> > Date/Codd:
> > Chris Date in "EDGAR F. CODD 08/23/1923 - 04/18/2003 A TRIBUTE":
> > The entire information content of a relational database
> > is represented in one and only one way: namely, as
> > attribute values within tuples within relations.
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > use the following style..
>
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > INFORMATION --> [Term defined]
> > all caps
>
> > --> 1 empty line
> > Definitions --> Caps on
> > first character
>
> > 1. data in context, data with meaning.
> > (This implies a definition of data as being without context,
> >> without meaning - see data)
> > 2. new data to the receptor.
> > 3. available data, relevant to some decision or action.
>
> > --> 1 empty line
>
> > --> 1 empty line
> > Sources of definitions
>
> > 1. Source of definition 1
> > 2. Source of definition 2
> > 3. Source of definition 3
>
> > --> 1 empty line
>
> > --> 1 empty line
>
> > --> 1 empty line
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > INFORMATION PRINCIPLE
>
> > Definitions
>
> > 1. Principle by which the entire information content of a
> > relational database is represented in one and only one way: namely,
> > as attribute values within tuples within relations.
>
> > Sources
>
> > 1. DATE/CODD (Chris Date in "EDGAR F. CODD 08/23/1923 -
> > 04/18/2003 A TRIBUTE):

> This looks good. Are you offering to do the work involved (source
> research, editing)? Hint: I am not.
No thanks. This NG is lost cause. Dropping by from time to time and encouraging what seems useful (ex:a glossary) is enough ;) Received on Sat Feb 10 2007 - 23:22:54 CET

Original text of this message