Re: cdt glossary 0.1.1 (repost)

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:27:39 +0100

Cimode quoted:

>> ---------------
>> Glossary 0.1.1:                 "You keep using that word.
>>                                  I do not think it means what

> > February 2006 you think it means"

[snip]

> The idea of a glossary is a good idea. 2 points though determining
> its future usefulness (knowing that CJDate has already created a
> dictionnary).

The stated purpose of the glossary is "to limit lengthy misunderstandings in comp.database.theory." Spin-offs are welcome but not actively chased. I haven't seen CJDate's dictionary yet. I trust that its intended audience is much wider than just this newsgroup. Aside: I don't think CJDate would mind a definition or two (properly attributed of course) from his dictionary in the cdt glossary.

> How do you update it ?

Re-editing sent posts, copying & pasting text from the newsgroup.

> (you must deal with this
> question if you want to gain consensus on its relevance ) and would it
> be possible to establish a technical writing style more coherent to
> read? Ex, instead of
> [Information]
> 0. data in context, data with meaning.
> (This implies a definition of data as being without context,

>> without meaning - see data)

> 1. new data to the receptor.
> 2. available data, relevant to some decision or action.
>
> [Information principle] (RM)
> Date/Codd:
> Chris Date in "EDGAR F. CODD 08/23/1923 - 04/18/2003 A TRIBUTE":
> The entire information content of a relational database
> is represented in one and only one way: namely, as
> attribute values within tuples within relations.
>
> use the following style..

> INFORMATION --> [Term defined]
> all caps
>
> --> 1 empty line
> Definitions --> Caps on
> first character
>
> 1. data in context, data with meaning.
> (This implies a definition of data as being without context,
>> without meaning - see data)

> 2. new data to the receptor.
> 3. available data, relevant to some decision or action.
>
> --> 1 empty line
>
> --> 1 empty line
> Sources of definitions
>
> 1. Source of definition 1
> 2. Source of definition 2
> 3. Source of definition 3
>
> --> 1 empty line
>
> --> 1 empty line
>
> --> 1 empty line
> INFORMATION PRINCIPLE
>
> Definitions
>
> 1. Principle by which the entire information content of a
> relational database is represented in one and only one way: namely,
> as attribute values within tuples within relations.
>

> Sources
>
> 1. DATE/CODD (Chris Date in "EDGAR F. CODD 08/23/1923 -
> 04/18/2003 A TRIBUTE):

This looks good. Are you offering to do the work involved (source research, editing)? Hint: I am not. Received on Sat Feb 10 2007 - 13:27:39 CET

Original text of this message