Re: Objects and Relations

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 03:58:57 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:

[snip]

>> David BL: "I'm not aware of a formal definition of variable...".
>> Perhaps it would behoove you to refresh you memory on the definitions
>> of terms prior to criticizing the way others use them.
>>
>> A variable is a reference to a value.

> Kevin, "variable" is a much broader term than that.

I take that back.

"A variable is a reference to a value. Variable declarations determine the scope of the variable as well as constrain (by domain, behavior, implementation, representation, or some combination thereof) the values that the variable can reference."

At least up to this point, I can see no improper constraint on what is a variable.

"Assignment is the association (or binding) of a variable with a specific value and dereferencing is retrieving the value associated with a variable. Allocation involves locating and claiming resources to hold the physical representation of values to which variables are bound."

At this point, though, I don't see how dereferencing or allocation apply to free or bound variables in logic. Assignment and binding seem quite different to me. One moves Mohammed to the Mountain and the other moves the Mountain to Mohammed. Received on Sat Feb 10 2007 - 04:58:57 CET

Original text of this message