Re: Did Joe Celko say this ? "Worse than MySQL: Just Ms Access"

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:19:10 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> Evan Keel wrote:
>

>> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>> cesarvegamx_at_gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Oh, I suppose that might explain why you would bother with Joe in the
>>> first place.
>>

>> Bob, what is your problem with Celko.

> Joe is a twit who has done irreparable harm to our industry through his
> endless self-promotion.
>

> In other newsgroups I have found his
>
>> SQL solutions quite useful.

> I feel your pain.
>

> Is it his theory (or maybe lack of) that you
>
>> have a problem with? He does a great explanation of how SELECT works in
>> theory, and his nested set solution is slick. Interested in your
>> response.

> Joe wouldn't know theory if it bit him on the ass. Kludges, workarounds
> and simplistic recipes are NOT what our industry needs.

That doesn't matter, sooner or later he will repeat both sides of the closed world assumption. If he lives long enough, everything will become true for some of his readers. As much as I resent the chaos IBM has inflicted over the years, at least its flighty preferences have moved elsewhere, whereas he continues to promote that stuff.

p Received on Sat Feb 10 2007 - 01:19:10 CET

Original text of this message