Re: Objects and Relations

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:43:45 GMT

JOG wrote:
> On Feb 9, 11:58 am, "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

>>On Feb 9, 12:09 pm, Gene Wirchenko <g..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>>[snip]

>>>     By that, a clay model of an automobile would not be a model.  I
>>>think you have an overly-restrictive definition.
>>
>>The subject of this thread is a comparison of OO and RM.  Does it
>>matter if it doesn't encompass clay models?  How is it too restrictive
>>for database systems, RM or cdt?

An intelligent person would notice the subject of the thread is Objects and Relations not OO and RM. An intelligent person would also notice David apparently created the thread strictly for self-promotion.

>>>     A simulation is a model.
>>
>>>     A model is a restricted representation of something.  The
>>>simplifications depend on what the model is to be used for.  If a
>>>model for aerodynamic testing, the shape of a car would be modelled.
>>>The sound system probably would not be in the model (though the aerial
>>>might be).
>>
>>Yes according to your definition a simulation is a model.

> Few things. First when you are trying to express something to people
> in a certain newsgroup it is always beneficial to use the terminology
> specific to that domain if one wants to be listened to. Out of his own
> goodwill, mAsterdam maintains an extremely good glossary for the
> newsgroup, and that really should be the first port of call.

Sadly, the glossary is not as good as you make it out to be. Instead of elevating David's nonsense, I suggest you re-examine it as if his horseshit might not actually be sincere dialogue.

> Second, it is worth noting that it has been written that Codd
> regretted naming his theories the relational "Model", very much
> because of this sort of confusion. RM is about recording and
> manipulating propositions, and not really about "modelling" at all.
>
> Third, I am still not clear at all what the aim of this thread is. It
> all seems a bit like a lot of handwaving in search of an actual point.
> A point that I am yet to hear succinctly put.

I don't know why you lack clarity: This thread is about promoting David. Received on Sat Feb 10 2007 - 00:43:45 CET

Original text of this message