Re: relational db design question

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:04:54 +0100

chezball_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I have a relational database design question that I cannot seem to
> solve in an aesthatically pleasingly way; I was hoping someone could
> help me with.
>
> I am trying to create a recipe database,

Nice. What are you going to use it for?
More specifically: What is your information need? Asking yourself how to store things is not the right first question. "What do you want (and want others) to learn from your database once it is populated?" Is a far better question to ask.  From this you can work to what you need to store to satisfy these information needs.

[snip solutions to unspecified problems]

> If this IS the way to do this then my next question is, how does one
> do lookups based upon this info? What would the SQL statement that
> would return all the relevant information about, say a cookbook, be?

What do you want the result of your query to be? Work back from that. Received on Thu Feb 08 2007 - 17:04:54 CST