Re: The Paradox of Choice

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:04:08 -0500

Marshall wrote:

> Might we come up
> with some approach that lets us encode patterns like master/detail
> or many-to-many so that they may be used directly? The idea being
> to have a facade over the unrestricted RM that provides the appearance
> of there being only one way to do things, to avoid scaring people
> with too many choices. I am thinking of some kind of macro system.

Huh, I thought that's what I was doing when I cooked up Andromeda, though my motivation was to save labor, not coddle anybody.

In training staff and users, I knew ahead of time that we were not trying to smooth over the realities of database design, but I was struck with how important it was to hammer home the requirement that the db design be the foundation.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.