Re: Objects and Relations

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 7 Feb 2007 03:24:13 -0800

David BL wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > If I point at a bunch of atoms and say "That is a human named Fred"
> > > then I consider Fred to be conceptual, mathematically imprecise but
> > > nevertheless the concept itself is real and exists in a Platonic sense
> > > (to the extent that I can meaningfully make statements about that
> > > bunch of atoms as I conceive of it as being a human named Fred).
> >
> > Well first pointing isn't allowed. One cannot continually follow Fred
> > round pointing at him all day, we need to identify to him in some
> > other way, but there I think we are agreed.
> >
> > However consider that some people's view of Fred is that Fred is Fred
> > is Fred, throughout his whole lifetime. Other people/applications may
> > need to view Fred only as he is /now/ - after all he will be composed
> > of a completely different set of atoms in a few years anyway. Then
> > there must be parts of him that make up our view of him which are
> > purely abstract, his bravery, his humour, his IQ, his body of
> > publications, etc., how should they perdure? Already the notion of
> > where he starts and finishes as an 'entity' is seriously blurring.

> That's why I said the mathematical concept of Fred is imprecise and
> can only be used meaningfully to the extent that we can state facts
> about Fred and not be confused.
>

> If we could transplant body parts for example, then yes the
> imprecision in the mathematical concept is exposed.
>

> > The old washington's axe/theseus ship paradox is perhaps a better
> > example of the concept of a well defined entity being insufficient. I
> > am sure you know it - "In a museum somewhere there is the axe used by
> > washington. Ok, the handles been changed a few times. Oh and so has
> > the headstock, but hey... its still the same axe". Same 'axe entity',
> > completely different physical components. Something seems intuitively
> > wrong with this notion of an axe 'entity/object'.
>

> I feel it's worse if you're unwilling to say entities exist (even
> imprecisely) in any objective sense at all.
>

> > But this problem is not really a paradox at all if you just discard
> > the illusion that an entity exists anywhere outside a single
> > individuals head.
>

> I'm not entirely sure of your philosophy. Do you also say that more
> precise mathematical notions like the set of integers only exist in an
> individual's head?
>

> > That's again why I believe one should always
> > consider communicated propositions (which we have a shared common
> > understanding of). Then you it becomes clear that the axe is the same
> > axe if propositions discussing it use its name as the primary key. It
> > is a different axe if the headstock/handle attributes are the compound
> > key.
>

> I can't help but think it's a little ridiculous to state facts about
> things and not believe those things exist in any objective sense. Do
> you also believe that the facts don't exist either?
>

> This reminds me of the difference between realism and formalism. IMO
> formalism without realism is a strange viewpoint.

This thread should then now probably belong on a philosphy board, but hey, its been interesting.

> I note as well that Godel's theorems should not be interpreted as
> favoring formalism over realism. On the contrary I see it as
> revealing a limitation of formalism. In fact Godel himself was a
> Platonist.

You have invoked Godel's law. This is the cdt equivalent of Godwin's Law which states that as a usenet thread approaches infinity, the chance of that thread mentioning Hitler becomes 1 (i.e. a certainty). It's generally agreed upon that when this happens, the thread is over, and the person mentioning Nazis losing the discussion.

Here it seems to be Godel ;)