Re: OT (sets and stuff)

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:38:53 GMT

Marshall wrote:
> On Feb 6, 3:42 pm, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:
>

>>I see I was overly optimistic.

> Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
> Man never Is, but always To be Blest.
> The soul, uneasy, and confin'd from home,
> Rest and expatiates in a life to come.
> Lo, the poor Indian! whose untutor'd mind
> Sees God in clouds, or hears him in the wind;
> His soul proud Science never taught to stray
> Far as the solar walk or milky way;
> Yet simple Nature to his hope has giv'n,
> Behind the cloud-topp'd hill, an humbler heav'n.
>
> -- Alexander Pope
>

> Seems strangely appropriate.

Not strange at all. Decent poetry often describes the impossible but is more and more beyond this semi-literate western world, that is why people who are utterly and unknowingly confused by it drop out and fall in here, only to come to the unconscious suspicion that they may never be able to express that they don't belong in this place either and end up expressing exactly that without knowing it.

Marshall, I gather you're American, how come you're not quoting your mostly absent countryman, TS Eliot, who with his black precision stamped paid on Pope's pastoral view, something like "when there is distress of nations ... men's curiousity searches past and future and clings to that   dimension"?

p Received on Wed Feb 07 2007 - 01:38:53 CET

Original text of this message