Re: Objects and Relations

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 22:57:13 -0800

On Feb 5, 9:58 pm, "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> A class called Employee in an OO program is sloppy. Instead it should
> be called EmployeeModel (or better still EmployeeInfo).

I strongly disagree. "Employee" is a perfectly good name for a class that models a real-world employee. You don't put "-model" on the end because everyone knows it's a model. No one thinks that a Java class is an actual person; the confusion you're decrying doesn't occur in nature.

A really sharp guy I used to work with had as a pet peeve structs whose names ended in "info." They're *all* info! he would rail. He and I would regularly run in to people who put "-info" at the end of the name of every struct; it drove him crazy.

Likewise, I do not end class names in "-class" nor variable names in "-variable" nor table names in "-table." It's just pointless.

Marshall

PS. This video contains the phrase "it's only a model."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVjkTEIoJc Received on Tue Feb 06 2007 - 07:57:13 CET

Original text of this message