Re: The term "theory" as in "database theory"

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 17:29:53 -0800

On Feb 2, 8:04 pm, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:56 pm, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 6:55 am, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I just don't see the point of this thread yet Dawn. Obviously there is
> > > an agenda there, so If we can clarify what it is, perhaps it can be
> > > discussed? Why not put those cards on the table - are you intending to
> > > say:
>
> > > 1) MV representations are preferable to RM because MV appeals to
> > > occams razor.
>
> > Nope.
>
> > > 2) RM appeals to occam's razor, indicating that in your opinion as a
> > > set based MV-crusader, occam's razor is wrong in this case
>
> > Nope.
>
> > > 3) Others who have said RM as "a theory as a whole" (I have never seen
> > > such a quote but there you go) appeals to occam's razor are
> > > misapplying it.
>
> > Yes. I have read at least two articles from Date and I think also
> > something from Pascal that appeal to Occam's Razor.
>
> Quotes, references or links perhaps? Without them everything you cite
> as an issue comes across as just bluster and hand-waving. Perhaps you
> aren't worried about this. I suspect you are though, so surely you can
> see why that would frustrate?

OK, let me see if I can redeem this for you. I asked about the definition of theory in part because I did not understand how people could apply Occam's Razor to database theory. It seems that most who responded understand it as I do, so that definitions 3-5 below are relevent, but 1 is not
1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
3. Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory. 5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.

My understanding of Occam's Razor has been that it is not the same as KISS, but is about comparing different "theories" of observed (or sensed) phenomena. So, when I see it used in the article I mentioned earlier at

http://www.dbazine.com/ofinterest/oi-articles/pascal12

or elsewhere, such as this old thread where BB employs it http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=935390&page=2&pp=15

I do not understand this argument. Unless one holds to def 1 as the meaning of "theory" in "database theory" we are not talking about making observations about the real world and then trying to explain them with mathematical models. We are working to create something.

I understand if we are trying to "Keep It Simple" but might have a different "it" than someone else might have. As we know, simple can be hard. We do not give our users the simplest code that will permit them to get the job done typically because that does not imply that we have made it simple for them to get the job done. We often have more complex algorithms just to make it simpler.

So, it makes sense to me for us to appeal to KISS throughout the software development process, but not to Occam's Razor. The reason for this relates to my understanding of theory as in "database theory" and my understanding of Occam's Razor. It sounds like you are with me on the former, but not the latter. Is that accurate? Thanks. --dawn Received on Tue Feb 06 2007 - 02:29:53 CET

Original text of this message