Re: Network Example: Sibling of Opposite Gender

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2006 04:54:02 -0800

Tonkuma a écrit :

> I can't understand that in where do you think difficulty is.
> I feel you,trying to invent new DB other than RDB, should study more
> RDB(Especially SQL language) and understand capability of SQL. After
> you find weakness or shortcoming of SQL, you should design new DB with
> full capability of SQL, without some of shortcoming of SQL and
> hopefully having more strong functionality.
> Many time I saw samples of dbd. But, as far as samples I saw, they are
> easily translated into RDB(SQL).
> Note: Please, don't think MS Access is real RDB. It's SQL is too
> restrictive.
Neo knows Access is limited but he continues using Access to draw conclusions.

> You shoud consider RDBs are Oracle, DB2, MS SQL Server,
> PostgreSQL.(Although, I don't know other RDB. someone knows more)
> May be MySQL can be included it. In past it's SQL was also too
> restrictive and weak functionality. But, recently it's functionality of
> SQL is rapidly growing.
To be safer sticking to SQL Server, ORACLE and DB2 (you can get a free unlimited UDB engine on their website called DB2 UDB Express C limited to 2 processors and 4Gb RAM but no limit over the db size, ideal for testing of SQL actual capabilities)..Run away from MySQL: a dbms that allows storing of date types such as 31st of february is not a serious dbms...

> Recently, I saw a sample like this titled "How to find Brothers and
> Sisters?"
> The problen is
> "Suppose Adam has children named John(male), Jack(male) and
> Mary(female). What schema/query finds John's brothers and sisters based
>
> only on direct relationships to parent and gender. A direct
> relationship would be parent/child. An indirect/derived relationship
> would be brother/sister. The query is not to use Adam directly."
> That was answed by Cimode. You can find SQL answer of this problem
> easily by referencing it.
Neo's reasonning is very easy to pinpoint: It does not work on Access therefore it is not RM therefore it establishes limitations of RM...What a joke!

Do me a favor, stop wasting time with Neo...His attempt at reinventing a square wheel using wooden tools is pure mental masturbation... Received on Thu Dec 28 2006 - 13:54:02 CET

Original text of this message