Re: Whatever happened to BS-12?

From: David Fetter <david_at_fetter.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:01:50 -0600

paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> paul c wrote:

>> jlfoster wrote:
>>

> The reason I think this is a good way to go about things isn't that
> I think the developers are necessarily smarter, they are just fewer
> but more focussed and varied incoherent competing approaches are
> minimized that way. Contrast with the typical open-source project.

I'm not going to, but since you're smearing "the typical open-source project," you'll be able to characterize one, characterize the kind of project you're contrasting it with, and then show how PostgreSQL is an example of the former.

> I remember a teenage postgresql developer giving a presentation
> which concerned mods that I thought were extremely dubious.

Name the developer, point to the mods, and explain why you think they were dubious. Then show how they got into the PostgreSQL code.

> His father was in the audience video-taping him.

So Open Source developers are teenagers showing off for daddy? Got any other unsubstantiated smears you'd like to spread here?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Fetter <david_at_fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666

It seems strange to make a priori arguments about the relative
performance of governments and the markets in health care when there
is so much empirical evidence.
                                                        John Quiggin