Re: Databases as objects

From: DBMS_Plumber <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2006 16:23:59 -0800

Thomas Gagne wrote:
> I'm not thinking of operations performed once/year. I'm thinking of
> operations performed thousands of times every minute, or even thousands
> of times every day. You don't see value in creating a procedure for that?

#include <shrug.h>

There is a schema. There are queries. There is 'business logic'. There is a UI.

Whether you embed the queries into procedural code that runs as a DBMS stored procedure or into procedural code that runs in an application server/tp monitor or into the code that controls the UI (all three approaches have pedigree) is logically irrelevant.

The 'interface' to the schema is a declarative language. The box you put it in matters not one wit to the database developers, or to the DBMS engineers. Received on Sun Dec 24 2006 - 01:23:59 CET

Original text of this message