Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:23:19 GMT

Marshall wrote:

> On Dec 22, 10:12 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Marshall wrote:
>>
>>>Nor was any irony present.
>>
>>I disagree. On their face, the words "Woo hoo" express excitement, and
>>you used them to express the opposite. Likewise "awesome".

> I stand corrected; I was indeed being ironic, now that you point it
> out.

Thank you for modelling intellectual honesty. Now that we established you were sarcastic and derisive--even if only mildly--the question to ask yourself is:

Are you comfortable with that?

Granted, I find it useful in some media to present things in a shocking manner to interrupt preconception and unquestioned (but erroneous) beliefs. I cannot say that doing so is entirely thankless: one occasionally hears expressions of gratitude. However, one hears a lot more scorn and chastisement.

The gratitude one does hear won't put your kids through college or even dinner on the table.

At the same time, I find you particularly adept at presenting devastating arguments in a neutral--even understated--tone, and that too has its place. I recommend you stick with that approach.

Heck, Joe made a career out of style over substance, and you have both going for you. Why give that up? Received on Sat Dec 23 2006 - 17:23:19 CET

Original text of this message