Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:16:45 GMT

David wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>>Marshall wrote:

>>..

>>>Wow, an insult in which you imply that I don't speak
>>>English very well. Isn't *that* original, and oh so relevant?
>>
>>Hey Marshall, your anglais is satisfactaire.  it's standard technique
>>for newsgroup/"successful" hand-wavers to challenge an irrelevant aspect
>>of the questioner's manner, ie., to try to change the subject.

> I have an interest in carefully analysing why people say what they
> say...
>
> Here are some possible motivations for why Dan posed that question...
>
> 1. Dan actually believes English is not Marshall's primary language,
> and the question was to be taken literally
>
> 2. Dan believes Marshall can speak English well, but thinks some of
> the NG readers are naive enough to read his question literally. This
> is a ploy to help bolster his argument by attacking Marshall's
> intelligence - perhaps because Dan thinks his argument isn't able to
> stand up on its own.
>
> 3. Dan used it as a literary device, as both an insult and to
> underscore what he regards as a discrepancy in Marshall's response.
>
> It seems to me that the third option is closest to the truth.
>
> You claim that the second option is in fact true. Do you stand by that
> claim, or do you in fact agree with me that the third option is closest
> and you are yourself using the analogous tactic that you "accuse" Dan
> of?
>

> David

You can claim that I claim whatever you want. Doesn't make it so. Here's a claim I admit - I claim that Christmas time is when lots of directionless people (ie., the majority who have no substantial inspiration on this topic or anything else) like to make lists of all sorts. Unfortunate side-effect of the 20th century's emphasis on universal so-called literacy. Suggest you send your list to the local so-called newspaper.

Here, in any season, I would rather hear an opinion, even an uninformed one, on what it means to project A from a relation that has two attributes, one A and the other B whose type is the same as the relation (A,B).

Cheers,
p Received on Fri Dec 22 2006 - 01:16:45 CET

Original text of this message