Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: <monarodan_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2006 16:16:32 -0800

David wrote:
> paul c wrote:
> > Marshall wrote:

> > ..
> > >

> > > Wow, an insult in which you imply that I don't speak
> > > English very well. Isn't *that* original, and oh so relevant?
> >
> > Hey Marshall, your anglais is satisfactaire. it's standard technique
> > for newsgroup/"successful" hand-wavers to challenge an irrelevant aspect
> > of the questioner's manner, ie., to try to change the subject.

> I have an interest in carefully analysing why people say what they
> say...
>

> Here are some possible motivations for why Dan posed that question...
>

> 1. Dan actually believes English is not Marshall's primary language,
> and the question was to be taken literally
>

> 2. Dan believes Marshall can speak English well, but thinks some of
> the NG readers are naive enough to read his question literally. This
> is a ploy to help bolster his argument by attacking Marshall's
> intelligence - perhaps because Dan thinks his argument isn't able to
> stand up on its own.
>

> 3. Dan used it as a literary device, as both an insult and to
> underscore what he regards as a discrepancy in Marshall's response.
>

> It seems to me that the third option is closest to the truth.
>

> You claim that the second option is in fact true. Do you stand by that
> claim, or do you in fact agree with me that the third option is closest
> and you are yourself using the analogous tactic that you "accuse" Dan
> of?
>

> David

Or,

4) (to save Bob the time end effort) Dan is a self-aggrandizing ignorant idiot.

In retrospect, if you interpret Marshal's "could" as "may" or "might want to" then his post reads well. I found Marshal's "could build" to be contrary to David's "have already built", which was removed from the partial quote included in Marshal's post.

I was a little reactionary, for which I apologise.

Dan Received on Fri Dec 22 2006 - 01:16:32 CET

Original text of this message