Re: Databases as objects

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:17:34 GMT

Marshall wrote:
> On Dec 21, 1:33 pm, Thomas Gagne <tga..._at_wide-open-west.com> wrote:
>

>>... the
>>database is an object, which should hide its data and only be used
>>through its interface, just like they do with other objects in their
>>models.

> The interface to the database is the schema and SQL.
> What do you think the interface is?

Would it be more precise to say the interface is purely relations (however they may be formed or expressed) or maybe relations as described by Codd?

If the programmers out there want to add to relations, certain well-formed logical operators, I guess I wouldn't object but I think that's implicit.

My two cents.

p Received on Fri Dec 22 2006 - 00:17:34 CET

Original text of this message